Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Weight Management

A huge amount of the media are devoted to the weight of our bodies. Most of the talk is about losing weight. About different diets, difficulty of staying on a diet and inevitability of regaining lost weight.

Well, not all approaches are the same - not all approaches have the same results.

Restrictive diets most often do not work. Dieters sneak foods, binge and give up.

Weight losers who have made up their minds to achieve a certain, lower weight are less likely to binge because that would delay achieving their goal.

I have tried it both ways and the diet method invariably has failed.

But when I made up my mind to achieve a lower weight, I succeeded. I was constantly thinking about my goal: to weigh 170 pounds. Every time I contemplated eating, I measured my actions against my goal and acted accordingly.

When, for quality of life reasons, I decided to weigh 150 pounds, I repeated the process. I now weigh 147 pounds (at 6:00 A.M. after subtracting the weight of clothing).

If you want to lose weight, the first and most important thing to do is set a goal and think about your goal all the time. It may be boring, but it works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home